What is Rotary?
Rotary is a global network of community volunteers. Rotary members are generally business, professional and community leaders who provide humanitarian service, encourage high ethical standards and actively help build goodwill and peace in the world.
Is it American?
Rotary started in the USA in 1905, but quickly spread around the world. The first Australian Rotary Club was chartered in Melbourne in 1921. Each club has a high degree of independence, and to a large extent chooses its own programs.
There are now more than1,200,000 Rotarians spread around 165 countries
Is it only for men?
Not at all – women are very welcome in Rotary. The Rotary Club of Ashgrove/The Gap has quite a few female members, and several have served as president in recent years. Family members of Rotarians are welcome to join in many of the Club’s activities.
Who can join Rotary?
Membership is open to business, professional and community-minded people of all ages. Each member has a vocational classification, which ensures that the club represents a good cross section of the community.
What does Rotary do in the local community?
- Santa Sleigh
- GRIPPS (Gap Regional Instrumental Primary Performers School)
- Carols by Candlelight
- Youth development programs and scholarships
- Australia Day citizenship ceremony
What does Rotary do around the world?
- Health (the International Polio eradication program, Rotary health research),
- Humanitarian projects (providing funds and hands-on help to disadvantaged countries)
- Education (school supplies, scholarships, the Peace Fellow program)
Do I have to attend regular meetings?
The Rotary Club of Ashgrove/The Gap has a dinner meeting every Wednesday. Some other Rotary clubs meet for lunch or for breakfast. Attendance of at least 50% of these meetings is desirable, which means everyone keeps up to date with Rotary activities.
What else do I have to do, and will it take up a lot of my time?
We hope you can contribute your particular talents and your particular vocational expertise.
As well as the weekly meetings, there are lots of different service activities and programs to get involved in. The amount of time you spend is entirely up to you.
What does it cost to be in Rotary?
Like any organisation, there are costs involved in administration, insurance, communications etc. Current subscriptions are $400 per annum.
A meal at the Wednesday meetings is available at a cost of $20.00.
Personal contributions and donations to Rotary programs and charitable causes are entirely at each member’s discretion.
I would like to be altruistic, but what what’s in it for me?
- Meet other like minded people
- Networking opportunities
- Personal development (public speaking and organisational skills)
- Social interaction for you and your family
- Broaden your horizons
- International network – be assured of a welcome and new experiences at Rotary clubs around the world
How do I find out more?
“Most Rotarians join Rotary because they would like to contribute to the community, and they stay because they have fun doing it!”